An Alberta marriage certificate application can be made through Richmond Road Registry.
Alberta Vital Statistics maintains records of all marriages that take place in Alberta and the information that is found on the original Registration of Marriage (completed at the time of the marriage) is documented on the Marriage Certificate. If a record cannot be found, a search spanning a three-year period is carried out automatically and the applicant is notified.
Please note: If you are ordering an Alberta Marriage Certificate from out-of-province, you must go through this registry.
What kind of marriage certificates can be ordered?
1. Certified Personal Marriage Certificate (Small) containing:
- the full names of the parties to the marriage (applicants/partners)
- place of marriage
- date of marriage
- registration date
- registration number
- date of issue
2. Certified Personal Marriage Certificate (Large) with Place of Birth containing:
Everything listed above plus:
- places of birth
3. Photocopy of Registration of Marriage
This certificate contains all the information outlined above and more. This is generally used for purposes such as immigration, consulates etc.
PLEASE NOTE: Richmond Road Registry can only issue marriage certificates for marriages that occurred in Alberta.
How do you get an Alberta Marriage Certificate?
Please pay online, download and fill out form (right-click the button to save on your desktop and open with Adobe Reader) and bring the following documentation into Richmond Road Registry.
To apply for an Alberta Marriage Certificate, you must be:
- One of the married parties
- A person declared as the Designated Agent
- The legal representative for an eligible applicant (proof required)
- Any person with an order from the court (proof required)
- A guardian, trustee or person with power of attorney for a person whose marriage is registered.
- When a party to the marriage is deceased, their adult next of kin may apply
- An executor of an estate when either party to the marriage is deceased.
You will require:
- your driver’s licence or passport
- any supplementary or supporting documentation as listed above
How long does it take to process?
Once Richmond Road Registry receives an application, it is usually processed within 3 to 5 working days. Photocopy of registration can take up to two weeks. At that point it is mailed to you, Richmond Road Registry or is available for pick-up.
You can obtain your certificate in one of three ways:
- order the certificate and have it sent to you directly by mail (takes 7-10 days) OR
- request that it be couriered to Richmond Road Registry (takes 3 business days and courier charge is $10) OR
- collect it at the Alberta government offices (2 business days)